[OM] Car door locks, was: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic

Subject: [OM] Car door locks, was: From a Trip to My Independent Volvo Mechanic
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:55:44 -0500
Reminds me of making a grand tour of the country in 2008.  We'd just
left the hotel in some small town in west Texas.  Pulled into the gas
station to fill up for the trip to Dallas.  I get out to pump the gas.
My wife gets out to wash the windshield.  We're driving our new to us
2007 Buick Lucerne unaware of the lock-all-doors button on the armrests.
  As she gets out she accidentally bumps the lock-all-doors button.
Mysteriously to us at the time, the car suddenly beeps the horn a few
times and then we hear: click, click, click, click as all four doors
lock.  My keys are in the ignition, her keys are in her purse on the
floor by the passenger's seat.

It could have been very bad.  Fortunately, I did have my cell phone on
my belt with the number for the AAA road service.  They were there
within 15 minutes and opened the car with a Slim-Jim in seconds.  I was
simultaneously very disappointed that they could so easily break into
the car while at the same time overjoyed that they did.

Today I never leave my keys in the car even in my own garage.  And with
the new Chrysler the key never has to leave your pocket to operate the car.

Chuck Norcutt