Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week

Subject: Re: [OM] A bit of a tease to start the week
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:32:42 -0000
Ahem. If the possessives in question are in the plural, then the apostrophes
should follow the letters 's' - in which case both would indeed be correct.
But I see nothing to suggest what is possessed by the alleged possessives,
which means they are respectively nominative and accusative which should not
have any apostrophe! At my most charitable, while the first is indubitably
nominative, I could accept the second as a possessive/attributive, albeit
leaving unspoken that portion of the roos which is attacked by wedgies.

Not mentioned so far is the use of an apostrophe to indicate abbreviation -
and in that case "Wedgies also attacks 'roos".

I'm shocked that this still has to hammered home. I'll be setting some
homework if standards don't rise.

Piers