Re: [OM] Dark eyed Junco

Subject: Re: [OM] Dark eyed Junco
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:39:37 -0800
Thanks for the comments, Chuxk.  Definitely on a tripod.  The SX50 does
quite well through 800 ISO and not too bad at 1600.  I did use Noise
Ninja on that image.  From the specs on the camera:  Focal Length
4.3 (W) - 215.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-1200mm)  I am shooting
through a double pane window with the subject about 18 feet from the
camera. The camera is on an AC adapter so that it can be left turned on
all the time and I use a remote shutter control.  Shooting bursts.
Those small birds are so quick.  With this setup, I can make a few minor
adjustments from the chair, so that I don't disturb the birds.  I am
having some problems with the camera, at present, with tha autofocus.
It does not want to autofocus on that pole or a bird sitting on it at
workable focal distances.  The workaround, using half shutter and
switching to manual focus on another subject at near the same distance
and then going back to the original subject seems to leave the subject a
bit soft.  I am considering sending the camera in to Canon on warranty.
Paul in Portland OR