[OM] (OM) OT Modern compact computers, and skeletal health

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Modern compact computers, and skeletal health
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 09:30:24 +1300
This matter came up on the National Radio (NZ) programme on Saturday morning.

A local physiotherapist has made an invention to help fix it.  See

<http://www.bodystance.co.nz/index.php>

Modern laptops, ipads, and the like, require, for the most part, users to adopt
a bad posture
when using them.

Head bent forward leading to severely hunched shoulders, and head tilted
upwards so that
the chin is out.

Not only are adults so affected, but since schools now require / supply such
computers to
children from a fairly early age, children are too. Not quite as badly as
adults since their
computer use is interrupted by physical activity, but it still applies.

What this physio discovered was that young - middle aged adults were being
referred to him
to fix badly damaged neck vertebrae (fused - locked in an un-natural position)
resulting in
severe headaches and other problems. He eventually traced the cause as being
these
micro-computers which lack the good posture potential of a normal desk-top
machine.

He has found many young and middle aged adults with the bad stooped upper back
/
shoulder / neck area condition previously seen only in 70+ years old people.

While he is based close to where I live in NZ,  he has discovered that there is
a world-wide
pandemic of people around the world disabled from this. Millions of people. It
is not only NZ.

This is not all that can arise; the condition sometimes known as "cobbler's
chest" (google it)
can arise, and this one is very difficult to treat. I know - I have it. All
these conditions are
aggravated by poor eyesight and the small fonts typically used in these
machines.

Brian Swale

---
is active.