Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:14:25 -0800
On 11/15/2013 8:04 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The idea for RAMdisks predates virtual memory systems in PCs... thus the
> notion of "upper memory" (some piece of additional memory not normally
> addressable by the OS).  I'm inclined to not interfere with the system's
> management of its total memory space.  Let RAMdisks die a normal
> technological death.

I thought that had already happened. Apparently they are having a small
revival. For people with massive amounts of
memory, and apps that nevertheless use disk caches, like PS, it may apparently
make a significant speed difference in
operation. So I have read.

I assume makers like Adobe will eventually adapt to use memory instead of disk
where possible. For the moment, it
appears the legacy of limited addressing in Windoze lives on.

Byte Mad Moose