Re: [OM] More Moose visit shots

Subject: Re: [OM] More Moose visit shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:12:07 -0800
On 11/10/2013 8:19 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Not too shabby. Here's the little album.
>      <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=9314>
>

> Thanks.  Great Green glob shot worked well, IMO--nice composition,
> texture, color.  Marnie did like your reflection shot--basically what
> we were going after in her shot but more nicely executed.

She was using the 24-105, no? I shot at 109 mm = 218 mm, FF AOV, so I was able
to pick just the most photogenic part.
And it's been messed with. ;-)

> Oh, had a couple host left on the roll as our one excursion was cut
> short by Marnie's spill.  Here is another of Mac:
>
> http://www.olyendomike.com/Friends/Moose-visit-2013/32266817_P9SSQD#!i=2897887377&k=dMNRVz2&lb=1&s=L

Equine contemplative.
>>> Now, Mike, what happened with the film shots? Full of ghastly artifacts.
>>> New scanning place?
> Arrgh.  Same place and I even sprang for the Tiffs--they were 8 bit and
> DR etc. a disappointment.  That film is harder to get a nice scan on
> than  100 ektar though.
> Any deconvolution worsened the artifacts seen with any mag, but they
> still looked better at usual viewing size, I think, so I kept that
> layer.  I thought you might comment.

No sort of sharpening or deconvolution will help that sort of artifacts. A
Gaussian Blur of a little over 1 and Focus
Magic of 4-5 improves it a lot. Still nothing like what's on the film ...

Or downsample without and sharpness treatment, then FM, radius 1 looks pretty
good, perhaps a little cleaner.

>    For the group shot I ran it through DXO (thought the new prime NR
> might work on JPEG but it doesn't, and used the DXO film pack to render
> it as Portra 160 NC ish.  Some  highlights were surprisingly gone on
> the scan and added a tad of LCE with faces masked.
> Perhaps you can fix it better for a modest size print if I send the
> original tiff?

Maybe, but I'm not sure how much.

> Could even send the neg, but that might burn too much Moose time.

No, I'd be happy to scan some negs. The scanning really doesn't take much of my
time. VueScan keeps the scanner busy
without my involvement, while I am doing other things.

> Perhaps will have some time this winter to replace my defunct scanner,

Then who will give you the time to set it up and use it? :-)

Artifactual Moose