Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 16:49:58 -0500
Agreed.  I discarded Avast several years ago... not for that
transgression but because it was finding lots of false positives and
then quietly banishing the affected files to the quarantine area.  But,
since it was doing this in the middle of the night I had no idea it was
going on.  But the time I discovered it it had quarantined approximately
60 Windows system files.  It was amazing that those files were
apparently very rarely used since I didn't have a system failure before
I discovered the problem.  I concluded they were false positives since I
tested the quarantine folder with at least 4 other virus checkers.

I finally went with MS Security Essentials since it's easy to use and
just quietly goes about its business.  I also figured who else has the
greatest motivation to find Windows malware other than Microsoft.  It's
free, works well and doesn't jabber at you to send money to get the real
stuff.

Chuck Norcutt