Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 01:19:01 +1300
Some more thoughts which don't seem to have been mentioned thus far in this
thread.

And I used to get without fail the UK motoring weekly magazine, "Autocar",
which in my
opinion is the best in the world for information and unbiassed excellent tests
of cars. But
since about 15 years ago I have decided it is too expensive, and in any case I
could never
afford a new car, so I stopped  having it sent to me.  So I am out-of-touch
with the latest.

BUT, one important factor in oil prescription is the advent of synthetic oils.

Their behaviour differs greatly from the old "normal" mineral oils which 'run /
flow away' from
hotter zones, to cooler ones.

The synthetic oils actually are attracted to heat, which means that they
naturally flow to where
they are most needed.

The most telling test I ever read was one from Australia. A new car was
appropriately filled
with synthetic oil and run so that the oil was distributed to where it should
be. Then all the
engine oil was drained out.

That car was then driven around the entire circumference of the island
Australia, and then
the  engine was dismantled and components measured for wear.

There was none - or it was negligible.

Brian Swale

Apologies for the nuisance line from Avast that will follow this. I agreed to
it when I installed a
new Avast engine; ... and now I can't find a control to stop it.

---
is active.