Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] 20W oil, was spare wheels, deer and BMWs, etc.
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 10:21:02 +0000
Sounds good to me, Andrew.

But the lower number is the measure of viscosity at low temperatures.  If you
live in Arizona, perhaps 20w is a good figure, but for the chillier climes of
northern Europe, 5W or 10W seems to be better.  The top figure for me is
normally 30, again because it doesn’t need to maintain viscosity at very high
temperatures.  Again, Chris T’s 50 is probably just right for Arizona’s
climate.  But then I don’t know if it gets cold at night in Arizona in either
of its 2 seasons.

Chris