Re: [OM] And Now, for Something Different.

Subject: Re: [OM] And Now, for Something Different.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:07:17 -0600
> A photog friend suggests, at least with landscapes, which don't tend to fly
> away, that we defocus a bit while composing to look at lines and patterns
> rather than it image itself. I've tried it a few times with varying results.

YES! YES! YES!

It's the "Mona Lisa" thing. When you look at the mouth, she has one
expression, but when you look at the eyes, another. It has to do with
the way the eye defocuses off-axis. I tend to go for the abstract in
my compositions more often than not. Even with standard landscape
photographs. It's important to me to provide good eyeflow. However,
when the eye is focused on the lines, the areas of defocus can end up
competing for eye attention and draw away from the intended flow. By
defocusing, you can see areas of high contrast, brightness or color
which will detract. Knowing that, I can recompose.

At least, that's my story.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx