[OM] Fritillary, Cabbage and Sulphur, Oh My! (and a What Am I?) [was One

Subject: [OM] Fritillary, Cabbage and Sulphur, Oh My! (and a What Am I?) [was One shot from Moose visit to S. Hamilton]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 01:42:15 -0700
On 10/27/2013 7:28 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Much smaller wings than the Seafire depicted in the image link below.
> We were chasing the elusive Bronze Copper but none were sighted. I
> would have been very pleased if Moose  had bagged a nice shot of one.
> We did see and photograph a few Silver-bordered Fritillaries,
> confirming a late  tail on the last flight period.  It is nearly extinct in
> central-southern
> England and much less common in our area.  It is not one of the
> "switchers" and requires relatively undisturbed wet meadow environment.

Ah, you've pulled me from wandering more or less at random through the images
from our trip. Here are the best from that
day and some from two days later in Maine.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2013/Flutterbys>

1-2. Full frame and crop of the same Fritillary.

3-4. Full frame and crop of a Cabbage White.

5. What one may get in sharpness/detail with the 75-300 @ 300 mm on an
extension tube. Handheld shots of small, moving
critters don't get much better!
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2013/Flutterbys&image=_9299398fpoofm.jpg>

6-7. Full frame and crop of a Clouded Sulphur.

Now in Maine:

8-9. When flutterbys group on the ground, they often remind me of sailboats.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2013/Flutterbys&image=_A019430croofmb.jpg>
and
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2013/Flutterbys&image=_A019437croofm.jpg>

I knew butterflies, like, you know, did it - but snogging?
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2013/Flutterbys&image=_A019448croof70.jpg>

11-12. Finally, a challenge for Mike and ??? Although the color and size are
like Fritillaries, and the environment
seems right, these are different shaped and the markings are somewhat different.

Fluttery Moose