[OM] Of Rainbows and Glaciers

Subject: [OM] Of Rainbows and Glaciers
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:35:45 -0400
Okay, so here's an interesting phenomenon, one which I did not foresee as I
looked through the viewfinder. The image is from Scotland's Isle of Mull, and
comprises a field in the foreground, a loch and rainbow in the middle ground,
and a headland in the background. (Well, the headland is part of the middle
ground, too.)

The problem, or phenomenon, is this: The headland was shaped by extreme
glaciation, to the degree that it appears to have parallel lines drawn upon it.
Without the rainbow, these would be interesting. Indeed, there is a glen in
Scotland that is advertised as Parallel Roads, or some such, because of
distinct parallel lines "drawn" by ancient glaciers.

But place a rainbow in front of this headland with its parallel lines, and it
looks for all the world like artifacts have insinuated themselves into the
image. On the screen _and_ in a print, it looks like a funky moire pattern, and
thus relegates the image to one of minor interest rather than a breath-taking
shot. (Note the waterfalls in the distance, and how the gale-force winds and
blowing the water up and back.)

Don't know what I could do to make the image more useful, or perhaps it's
useful enough as an example in photographic frustration. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal