Re: [OM] EM-5 flash question

Subject: Re: [OM] EM-5 flash question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:09:17 -0400
But you shouldn't have to shoot fill flash to get a good flash shot
other than in bright light.  The requirements for fill-flash are the
antithesis of the problem you described.  You choose a long shutter
speed to brighten a dark background when shooting flash under low light.
  You choose a fast shutter speed for fill flash since it's assumed the
background is already bright.  The problem there is not brightening the
background but rather not overexposing the foreground.

If you described it properly, enabling a fill flash option is not the
solution.  You said you're using a long shutter speed for min shutter
speed on the flash option.  That's good.  But you never did say whether
you had enabled one of the "slow" shutter speed options for AP flash modes.

If you still can't get it to work go to manual mode.  Choose the
aperture and ISO you want and then take an exposure reading without the
flash.  Back off the shutter speed a stop or two and control the flash
output with the manual power control or switch to flash controlled
"auto" mode.  That's the way I shoot a T-32 or other manual flashes...
along with the histogram as a sanity check.

Chuck Norcutt