Re: [OM] Windows File Association

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows File Association
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:37:49 +1200
Moose wrote;
> On 9/25/2013 10:57 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Maybe a silly question... is PSCC even supposed to be able to directly
> open a file on your computer... or is it expected to only operate on files
> found in the cloud?  Maybe is not selectable as a local processing program
> because it isn't.  Just guessin'.
>
> I am mystified by this thread. Windoze has a perfectly usable, and
> reasonably simple, system for managing which programs open which files. If
> you want to change it, right click on the file you want to open and select
> Open With. If the program you want is listed, click the box "Always use
> the selected program to open this kind of file." and click on the program.
>
> If your program isn't listed, click the "Browse" box, find the program in
> Explorer and double click it.
>
> That has always worked for me. If not, the Control Panel options Joel
> listed give complete control.
>
> Simple Moose

Sorry if it disillusions you Moose, but some programs (as illustrated) have
found a way to
stifle the Windows file association process. ( as an aside; isn't the mind
amazing?? I
haven't used or read that word (stifle) in actually several decades, but when
it is needed,
out it pops from memory ... Just like that ... Amazing.).

After the installation of VLC Media player, Windows Media Player NEVER shows on
a file
association process, and unless you knew, as I did, you (possibly) never would
find out.

Even worse, as in Tina's experience, totally inappropriate associations are
installed. In the
case of VLC Media Player, right-clicking on one of the folders for short-cuts
that I have
created on my desktop which should bring up 'Open" as the top possibility) (
folder
creation is a choice if you right-click on an XP desk-top), shows up these
possibilities for
action,

Add to VLC Media Player's playlist
Browse with FastStone
Digital Photo professional
Browse with PIE
Play with VLC Media Player
Open
Explore

Yours truly pissed-off .... but life goes on so far ....

Brian Swale