Re: [OM] Forgotten War

Subject: Re: [OM] Forgotten War
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 03:01:46 +1200
Chris B wrote;

> I'm sure that it was impressive!  However, 50kts sounds a bit optimistic
> for a large machine, even an American one :-)
>
> Chris

For a displacement vessel ( ie, not planing or hydrofoiling) maximum possible
speed is
limited by boat length. Add more power once max speed is reached, and all you
achieve is
to make the vessel suck lower into the water.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/hull-speed-displacement-hulls-7785.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_speed

However, from wikipedia, "Hull design implications[edit source | edit]

Wave making resistance depends dramatically on the general proportions and
shape of
the hull: modern displacement designs that can easily exceed their 'hull speed'
without
planing include hulls with very fine ends, long hulls with relatively narrow
beam and
wave-piercing designs. These benefits are commonly realised by some canoes,
competitive rowing boats, catamarans, fast ferries and other commercial,
fishing and
military vessels based on such concepts.".

Brian Swale