[OM] Wings over Gatineau air show

Subject: [OM] Wings over Gatineau air show
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:07:29 -0400
We had our annual (largely) warbird airshow on the weekend. First time
with the EM-5, so much trial and error (er, many errors, some of which
were clearly brain fade on the part of the photographer). I've put up
some jpgs, mostly quickly corrected for over exposure (Like I said,
brain fade), at http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=8483.

Went with the Tamron 180/2.5 and the Oly 1.4x; much was done with this
combo. Left the Tamron 300/2.8 at home as I had to travel light. We're
pretty close to the runway (but not quite at "infinity" on the lens as I
discovered), so it was pretty easy to fill the viewfinder. Relative
success on the ground but not much for the in-the-air shots.

Camera was set up in burst mode but without anti-shock (my error as the
two can co-exist). IS was set to horizontal panning and shutter speed
anywhere between 1/320 and 1/500 so as to not freeze the spinning props.

The vast majority of shots were out of focus to some degree, which I
attribute to a number of factors (in addition to the photographer): the
lens wasn't stopped down enough (f5.6) so the depth of field was too
shallow, the shutter speed may have been a bit slow, there was no
anti-shock, and in particular an inability to focus precisely with the
EVF (things seemed quite clear in the EVF but the shots tell another
story).

MF with magnification works fine for stationary or slow moving shots,
but isn't going to work for planes in flight. Burst shooting doesn't
work for aerobatics, as I discovered.

As there has been some discussion on EM-5 batteries recently, I managed
about 700 shots on one Oly battery using the MF lens. Quite surprised.

Pretty much convinced that I need a longish lens with AF for next year.
The Oly 4/3 50-200 (+TC) would fit the bill nicely, if it would focus
quickly on the EM-5, which it doesn't. However, this show is the only
one I attend; otherwise 150mm is pretty much all I need.

Martin.