Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 23:21:10 -0400
Basically what Moose said.  But I didn't answer this question quickly
because I wasn't sure exactly how it would work out.  Now I've had a
chance to do some calculations and can quantify it a bit.  I say "a bit"
because the only calculations I can do is from the optical center of the
lens.  As Moose points out some lenses move their elements
independently, some change focal length and none of them may have the
optical center of the lens at the physical center.  Then, even if you
know where the optical center is located the working distance is
measured from the end of the lens, not the optical center.  So take what
you're about to read as an approximation which will be somewhat
different from lens to lens.

First, let me accept that for a 1:1 output from a 4/3 sensor we really
only need to make the image 1/2 life size on the sensor.  There are
probably some valid quibbles about doing this but if we reject it we
really can't talk about equivalent focal lengths for even non-macro use.

So, what I've done is calculate the object/image distances for a 120mm
lens on full frame shooting at 1:1 (life size) and the same for a 60mm
lens on 4/3 shooting at 1:2 (half size).

For the full frame 120mm case at 1:1 the object distance (center of lens
to object being photographed) and the image distance (center of lens to
the film/sensor) are both 240mm.  The 1:1 case for any lens is easy
since object and image distances are always equal to each other at twice
the focal length.  Here the working distance is 240mm minus the distance
from optical center to the end of the lens.

For the 4/3 60mm lens at 1:2 the object distance is 180mm and the image
distance is 90mm.  Note that the image distance is only 1/2 of the
object distance.  While the 120mm lens does have a working distance
advantage over the 60mm lens the difference is not double.  That's
because we allowed the 60mm lens to get away with a 1/2 life size image.
  Note that the object distance of 180mm is 3 times the focal length
when set for 1/2 life size instead of only twice the focal length as
required for life size.

One advantage for the shorter lens that I hadn't thought of at first
(but which clearly falls out of the calculations) is that, although the
full frame 120mm lens has a working distance advantage the extension
required for the 60mm lens is only 90mm from optical center instead of
240mm for the full frame lens.  That's a lot of extension which brings
its own problems beyond working distance.

Finally, while doing this little exercise I referenced John Shaw's book
"Closeups in Nature" wherein he speaks of the "fear circle".  When
you're outside the radius of the fear circle little critters ignore you.
  When you get inside the fear circle they tend to get out of your way
quickly.  Long focal length is still the answer... but is not without
its own set of problems.

Chuck Norcutt