Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:09:11 -0400
Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's one of the big differences between the digital age and film on this
> list - we hardly speak about lenses.
>
> Remember when threads about particular lenses and how they compare to other
> lenses would go on hot and heavy for days -
> or weeks?
>
> An announcement of a new Zuiko macro lens would elicit a flurry of posts. Oly
> announced the µ4/3 60/2.8, stating that it
> is as good as the ZD 50/2. I don't recall it even being mentioned here. I
> only became aware of it wandering about the web.

I saw something about it here, I seem to recall.

I'm eagerly awaiting comment on the Oly 12-40 2.8.

> I post an image from it, with 100% crop, and comparisons with other M.Z
> lenses, and get one response (Thanks, Chuck!):

Are you happy with it as a non-macro general-purpose tele?

I want something for many-shot panos.
http://gigapan.com/

People use anything from fisheye to 800mm for panos.
Looking at Max Lyons excellent pano site
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/panostats.htm
I find one peak on his focal length graph is 40-60 mm on APS-C.

Math I have done says anything over 100mm 35 mm equivalent
should be fine for my purposes -- moderately large prints to hang
on walls.

The 60 macro is cheaper than the Oly 75/1.8 and likely easier
to use than an adapter with some SLR-mount lens, whatever
I can find that is cheap and decent in the 50 to 105 range.