Re: [OM] OM Meet Beauly

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Meet Beauly
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:55:45 +0100
We're on the plane home Thursday. Can't say as I'll mind being home, but I'm
sure going to hate leaving Scotland. Be nice if we could find a way to Moose
Scotland, and come every year about this time.

Currently on the Isle of Mull weathering a blow. It got pretty hairy last
night, but has subsided a bit this morning. Still soul-drenching rain, though,
and the wind is expected to pick back up. But unlike in Maine, we may get long
periods of sunshine with gale-force winds. I'll take that. I can walk in the
wind if the rain's not ice-picking my face. (Apologies to the Language Police
for Moose and ice-pick as verbs.<g>)

One of the pure pleasures of Scotland is the salmon. Unlike in Maine, this
isn't--or isn't said to be--farm salmon. I had some smoked salmon on my
scrambled eggs this morning, and it was _devine_. Much richer taste than the
salmon we get in Maine, and Maine salmon ain't half bad. Also, I've enjoyed
venison sausage, which is a bit chewier but much tastier than pork sausage. The
chips have been remarkably excellent, much better than the average order of
fries in the States. I wonder if our UK friends could weigh in on why that
might be. They just seem to be a bit more chippy than fries. Not so oily. Not
sure what it is.

And the beer! OMG! Until last night I was sampling various Scottish ales, which
I have learned are brewed, as a rule, without hops seeing as how they don't
have hops up here. More malty, and, as it turns out, contrary to the current
IPA rage, much to my preference. Last night I had a pint of Italian beer, Bira
A Moretti. It was very good, and the first beer I've had over here served cold.
In fact, much to our surprise and pleasure, the restaurant we found,
Mediterranea, in the tiny (smaller than Round Pond) village of Salen, was
superb beyond our wildest expectation. The food was criminally good. Joan had a
prosciutto-wrapped chicken, and I had a Tuscan bean soup. For a starter I had
bruschetta with arugula. No desert. Joan eschewed the starter and opted for
chocolate cheese cake for desert. I got a bite and was immediately transported
to nirvana, if only for the duration of the bite. And the waitress was a
cheerful and cheeky wee bit of a thing who made the whole experience
 most worthwhile. I believe we'll be going back tonight.

--Bob Whitmire
Registered Neanderthal