Re: [OM] Tempted to sell my Olympus OM3TI

Subject: Re: [OM] Tempted to sell my Olympus OM3TI
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:27:45 -0400
Not 3Ti specific but here is John Lind's TTL fill flash method as
related in 1999.
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 23:30:32 +0000
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] T-32 Fill Flash Outdoors

At 23:18 4/9/99, Chip banged away continuously on his keyboard until he hit
the send button with his mouse:
 >Does anyone have some tips on using T-20/T-32 for fill flash outdoors?  I
 >have an OM-4 ; no OM-4T.  Thanks,

Here is how I do it with the same combo of OM-4 and T-20, T-32 *and*
F-280 using TTL OTF mode:

1.  Make sure the camera is in Auto mode with the ASA set for the film
speed you are using, and the EV compensation ring on the ASA dial is set
to ZERO.

2.  Mount the flash to the camera but leave it *OFF*.

3.  Aim at your subject, focus, and with the flash unit *OFF*, adjust
the aperture ring until you get a 1/60th shutter speed.

Note:  This is the sync speed for the flash unit and you will also be
properly exposed without any flash for the scene's ambient lighting.

4.  Turn the flash ON to TTL Auto Mode.

Note:  This "locks" the camera at 1/60th so the shutter speed cannot
change and the overall scene will stay properly exposed for ambient
lighting.

5.  Turn the EV compensation ring (without lifting it) clockwise from
-2/3 to -2 compensation depending on how much fill you want.

Note: The dial moves in 1/3 stop increments.  If you are compensating
for  mottled shadowing caused by small tree branches over an otherwise
sunlit subject, you probably want more fill (-2/3 to -1).  If you want
only to make eyes sparkle and enhance contrast slightly on a deep
overcast day, you probably want less fill (-1-1/3 to -2).  Experience in
doing this will develop a sense of how much fill *you* want.  Everyone's
preferences are different.  This "fools" the TTL OTF metering into
thinking the film needs less light from the flash.

I just use the T-32 in auto mode (on any camera) and set negative
exposure compensation via lying about the ISO that's set on the camera.
  I prefer a very light fill at -2 stops below ambient.  Too much fill
risks blowing highlights that might be outside of the shadows you're
trying to fill.  If -2 isn't enough light then PhotoShop can fix the
remainder... but can't fix the blown highlights.

Chuck Norcutt