Re: [OM] IMG: Pears

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pears
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:47:09 -0400
Thanks, Brian!  We have planted two apricot trees and they are very healthy
but not bearing yet.  I love apricots!  We do manage to eat or give away
everything I can.  Here, canning usually refers to preserving in glass jars
- Mason jars.  A neighbor gave me a whole truckload of canning jars and
I've filled them all and bought many more.  Canning used to be a way of
life in the American South but as farms got smaller and grocery stores got
larger, many people quit canning.  It's coming back in favor now for
economic and health reasons.  There's nothing better than going to my
basement to shop for dinner!  I know exactly what is in those jars and how
it was raised.

Tina

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tina wrote:
> > PESO:
> >
> > The past few days I have canned several hundred jars of pears, pear
> juice,
> > pear chutney, pear relish, pear preserves, pickled pears, and pear sauce.
> >  This was my pear tree a couple of weeks ago:
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/152265661
> >
> > And my pears now:
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/image/152265674
> >
> > C&C greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Tina
>
> Tina, your still-life shot is classic and very well conceived and
> executed. I like it, and
> the pears look great as well.
>
> Your tree is loaded.
>
> What can the two of you possibly do with all the hundreds or jars and
> bottles you
> have preserved.? I did about 12 - 18 ? quart bottles of apricots and they
> lasted me
> about 9 months ... eating some with my porridge every morning.
>
> Purist oat porridge munchers will probably shudder at my recipe;
> a cup of oats, desert-spoonful of raw sugar over, 4 - 5 half apricots on
> top; four
> dessert spoonfuls of Sweet greek and honey yoghurt made by me over the top,
> fluidise with apple/mango juice.
> 2 minutes 20 seconds in the microwave, and it's ready to go.
> Delicious and good.
>
> By the way; language usage ....  I was perplexed at your saying a few
> weeks ago that
> you were 'canning' tomatoes etc.  I was unaware of any current process
> that people
> could use to put fruit in metal cans.
>
> Then I saw in the one or two of your photos the  glass jars and bottles
> you used, and
> I was back in familiar territory.
>
> Brian Swale
> --