Re: [OM] IMG: Pears

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Pears
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:25:37 +1200
Tina wrote:
> PESO:
>
> The past few days I have canned several hundred jars of pears, pear juice,
> pear chutney, pear relish, pear preserves, pickled pears, and pear sauce.
>  This was my pear tree a couple of weeks ago:

> And my pears now:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/152265674
>
> C&C greatly appreciated.
>
> Tina

Tina, your still-life shot is classic and very well conceived and executed. I
like it, and
the pears look great as well.

Your tree is loaded.

What can the two of you possibly do with all the hundreds or jars and bottles
you
have preserved.? I did about 12 - 18 ? quart bottles of apricots and they
lasted me
about 9 months ... eating some with my porridge every morning.

Purist oat porridge munchers will probably shudder at my recipe;
a cup of oats, desert-spoonful of raw sugar over, 4 - 5 half apricots on top;
four
dessert spoonfuls of Sweet greek and honey yoghurt made by me over the top,
fluidise with apple/mango juice.
2 minutes 20 seconds in the microwave, and it's ready to go.
Delicious and good.

By the way; language usage ....  I was perplexed at your saying a few weeks ago
that
you were 'canning' tomatoes etc.  I was unaware of any current process that
people
could use to put fruit in metal cans.

Then I saw in the one or two of your photos the  glass jars and bottles you
used, and
I was back in familiar territory.

Brian Swale