Re: [OM] Fun With Drifter

Subject: Re: [OM] Fun With Drifter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 22:26:27 -0700
On 9/7/2013 7:00 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I have a problem with the word 'deserving'. It's a moral judgement which I
> don't think I have the right to make.

You left out an important part of my post, the last sentence/pp and the sign
off:

"You can never really know.

Giving Pragmatism Moose"

I quite agree with you. I know that, even if I knew everything there is to know
about each individual, I still wouldn't
be in a position to make that judgement. That's why I just go with intuition,
or whatever you might call what happens in
the moment. Sometimes, my hand just pulls out my wallet and my fingers pull out
a bill, without any real involvement of
cognitive decision. Moments later, my brain will be like "You gave that person
$5, what was that about?"

Other times, it's "That person looked like they really needed help. Why did you
just walk by?" In either case, I can
make up a rationalization - or admit I just don't know.

> In the documentary I mentioned, I watched a remarkable man who made no such
> judgements do what he could to help some utterly hopeless teens and
> twentysomethings. They were alcohol and drug abusers, street kids with every
> problem you can imagine, chronic recidivists in and out of rehab, getting
> pregnant, perpetrating and suffering violence, dying, denying responsibility
> for their actions, expressing completely unrealistic hopes and aspirations
> and generally incapable of breaking out of the sinks and cycles where they
> found themselves. There were few, perhaps no happy endings.
> Almost none of them qualify as deserving in any sense whatsoever.

That assumes that there is such a distinction that is valid beyond some set of
beliefs and assumptions that are
different than those in different times and places. I don't believe there is
any such universal or absolute distinction.

> The individual I mentioned who was running a Salvation Army youth resource
> was a person of enormous patience and depth of character. I'm more that
> prepared to accept whatever decision he might make about what should be done.
> He has earned the right to make those decisions and I have not.

He's undoubtedly caught in the dilemma I posted about. Whether he wants to or
not, limited resources require him to make
such decisions. He certainly sounds better qualified than I am, too.

Tough Choices Moose