Re: [OM] Few more Utah shots

Subject: Re: [OM] Few more Utah shots
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 23:35:37 -0700
On 9/6/2013 3:48 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Beerily Bleary Moose writes:
> ..
> Oh, had to think a sec--time has elapsed since your other post---Pliny
> the elder.
>
> Seems Moose is becoming a "hops head" with all these IPA's. Nothing
> wrong with that AFAIK but migrating from preferences for American Brown
> Ales
> (especially secreted by brethren --Moose Drool) to IPA's is analogous
> to going from OM gear to Canyon. One can discern I am still recovering
> from the shock of learning
> the list American Brown ale judge has shifted  brew style allegiances.

You may have over estimated both my expertise and my preferences. I've
generally liked brown ales, as well as many other
beers, over my life. But not in preference to the others I also like.

I would say my tastes have not changed too very much, but have been broadened.
Younger Mooseling is a serious hophead,
and likes some brews so hoppy, and/or weird in other ways, that I find them
pretty unpalatable.

One problem is truth in labeling. He has me try a beer called something like
"Death by Hops" and it turns out to be a
decent, relatively mild IPA. Then some other, labeled just IPA, is like being
battered to death with bitterness.

Pliny, a double IPA, is indeed fairly hoppy, but has so many other good,
generally subtle qualities that it's very
balanced. The same brewery has an even harder to find beer, Blind Pig, that
uses a citrusy hop I don't much like. A
little in a light summer ale, like Deschutes' River Ale isn't bad, though.

I've been exposed to a much broader range of beers than before. OTOH, my desert
island beer is still Sierra Nevada Pale
Ale. A Pale that nudges up toward IPA in a very well balanced way. Not too
hoppy, not too malty.

Blearily Blathering Moose