Re: [OM] IMG: Vendors

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Vendors
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 19:13:59 -0700
On 8/29/2013 5:52 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Thanks, Brian. I continue to get comments that my photos are
> over-saturated. I've stopped de-saturating by -30 but am still using -12. I
> like them at full saturation but I may be the only one who saw the scenes
> that way!

I'm perpetually behind - and you post so many images. But I have been looking
at most of them.

I have been thinking much as Brian has. Then we were in a shop full of
Guatemalan clothes last week. I really think you
should go with your sense of what looks right. If you listen too much people
who just aren't used to tropical sun on
those almost absurdly bright colors, I think you sell your images a bit short.

I've also been thinking about skin tones. There was a post a while ago of three
women of different ages in good light.
The youngest had beautiful skin, smooth and a lovely color. The eldest had
rough looking skin, almost like it was
grainier film just there, and of somewhat uneven color.

I've been watching more closely since, and come to a couple of tentative
conclusions. First, I believe you mentioned
some time ago how hard the sun in on the locals' skin. Second, there is
variation, if not from village to village, at
least in different areas, in the ethnic mix of the people, and thus their skin
tones. I know from personal experience
that this is true in Mexico and Costa Rica.

Relying on the opinion of mostly older, anglo men about the skin tones of
people you have visited and lived with for
decades seems to me questionable.

I'm happy to, and have, comment on scanning, grain, overall color balance
highlight compression/loss, and so on. And it
seems clear that those and the similar comments of others here have helped you
a great deal in improving your scanning
and processing.

Ask, sure. Listen, sure. But be true to your own sense of saturation and skin
tones.

> On Thursday, August 29, 2013, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tina asked:
>>
>> Does anybody here use Curvemeister for color control?  I'm experimenting
>> with it:
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/image/152033882
>>
>> C&C greatly appreciated.
>> I'd never heard of Curvemeister before. However, this image and the two
>> before it, are a significant improvement both as to image sharpness and
>> colour rendition, from previous ones.

This one certainly has lovely looking color, and the prior two are pretty nice,
but they are all Ektachrome, which has
generally given your best results in color and grain before.

I'm not sure what Curvemeister does that PS doesn't, from a couple of reviews
and the CM web site. One review blathers
on about waiting minutes to see adjustment results in PS and PSE. Huh? My
computer is getting long in the tooth, but I
still adjust Curves, Levels, Hues, etc. watching the effects in real time on
the image.

Just a different interface, that may be easier for some folks?
Possibly/probably I'm missing something. But I've read
similar promo material for other plug-ins that have underwhelmed, or seriously
disappointed, in use.

If you have it, and find it easier to get the results you want with it, what's
not to like?

Moose D'Opinion