Re: [OM] 12-40 F2.8 Oly zoom for the EM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] 12-40 F2.8 Oly zoom for the EM-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:12:07 -0700
On 8/29/2013 8:26 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
> chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I, too, enjoy the small size and light weight.  But part of what I shoot is
> concerts from time to time and for that, I need a fast lens, which is why
> I'm looking at one of the OM 100/2.8's which will give me 200mm equiv

Looks like Oly made the 75/1.8 for you.

I know money is tight at the moment, and hope that changes soon.

Still, $300 for a grip, plus whatever the MF lens costs, and you are still
manual focusing a tele in dim light. A little
shorter, but a stop faster, could mean just cropping a bit more, at a lower
ISO. And the AF should mean more flexibility
and more focus hits.

>   or maybe something bigger, like 200mm or 300mm.

The 135/2.8 doesn't get a lot of notice, but it's a nice, relatively light,
compact lens, and a stop faster than the
200/4, which does get big and heavy. Personally, I preferred the 135/2.8 and
200/5 to their siblings.

> That's also why I'm looking at the HLD-6, since the big old glass really
> feels front-heavy on that little E-M5 body.

Camera and lens weight on heel of left hand, with a large lens, some on base of
index finger,  index finger and thumb
focus ... When I'm shooting the E-M5 or a DSLR, the right hand carries no
weight, only operating the camera.  The weight
is balanced across the center of my left palm.

Although small and light for what it is, the 75-300 is not an insubstantial
lens, and I shoot with it a LOT.

Balancing Act Moose