Re: [OM] Focus magic beta now available for the mac--now diffraction dis

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus magic beta now available for the mac--now diffraction distraction revisted
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 21:40:31 -0700
On 8/25/2013 8:15 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

> No, no.  Chagrined Mike made a 140 deg turn in a rather long Feb post.
>
> http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2013-05/msg02068.html

Yikes! How did I miss that? May 30, I see, not Feb. Perhaps I was hustling
through the list after getting behind putting
together and putting on a 3 day retreat. In any case, apologies. I shouldn't
have missed such a change of direction.

> Yes, empirically R-L deconvolution can improve diffraction softened
> images.  However, there is a rather hard high freq cut off  with
> diffraction unlike
> a Gaussian blur  where high freq info leaks into the image.  Why DC
> still works is well, convoluted--- but detail contrast is improved even
> if no/little actual resolution derived.

Like so many things, what humans perceive as sharpness is impossible to
entirely define. It seems the MTFxx measurements
don't entirely track with our perceptions. Even subtle increases in edge
contrast, especially without halos, make a big
difference in perceived sharpness, often mis-identified as resolution.

> My current conjecture ...
>
> I agree with Moose that lightly applied deconvolution is less
> manipulative than USM as it is recovering data contained within the
> image.

My head seldom hurt as a physics major for my first 2-3 years at Berkeley. Now,
too much math and complex descriptions
tend to turn me away.

Fortunately, unlike with many aspects of physics, I don't need complex
experiments with expensive equipment to do
pragmatic testing. :-)

1. Get new image processing software.
2. Ignore all the hype and/or theory.
3. Apply. (more than twice, to various kinds of images, at varying settings.)
4. Compare to original and other solutions.

All that matters is if and how well it works.

Pragma Tic Moose