[OM] Focus magic beta now available for the mac--now diffraction distrac

Subject: [OM] Focus magic beta now available for the mac--now diffraction distraction revisted
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 23:15:42 -0400 (EDT)
P. S. Moose writes:

>Mike G and others have pointed out that in theory, DC should not work
for
>correcting diffraction blur. In practice, with
>my lenses and images, it increases detail visibility and 'sharpness'
in images
>as apertures small enough that folks like
>Chuck say they are diffraction limited.

No, no.  Chagrined Mike made a 140 deg turn in a rather long Feb post.

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2013-05/msg02068.html

Yes, empirically R-L deconvolution can improve diffraction softened
images.  However, there is a rather hard high freq cut off  with
diffraction unlike
a Gaussian blur  where high freq info leaks into the image.  Why DC
still works is well, convoluted--- but detail contrast is improved even
if no/little actual resolution derived.

  My current conjecture is DXO   uses non PSF deconvolution  but applied
in a weighted fashion in the image where the lens is most affected by
aberrations--at least
as far as that one function.  That opinion is based on a few
correspondences with their tech support a number of years ago--they
keep their cards
very close to their chest now.   I have read that Canyon with DLO
actually mathematically  models the lenses including diffraction
effects and the AA filter.

I agree with Moose that lightly applied deconvolution is less
manipulative than USM as it is recovering data contained within the
image.

Perhaps not always quite sharp enough, Mike