Re: [OM] [Leica] IMG: Waiting Out the Rain

Subject: Re: [OM] [Leica] IMG: Waiting Out the Rain
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 01:13:30 +1200
Tina wrote:Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

> Douglas - I ordinarily would not have posted any of these but somebody
> posted a link to street photography today with photos that were out of
> focus, no eye contact, tilted, that looked like somebody pressed the
> shutter without looking through the viewfinder or focusing.  They were
> viewed as "art" so I decided to post some "art" and see if I would get any
> comments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tina
>
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Douglas Barry <imra@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     Tina, I have to say from the start I like your stuff. However, none of
>     these work for me as lack of sharpness,
> rear shots, and no eye contact mitigate against any involvement in the
> situation. For me that is. Can't see any of these agency clients wanting
> to use them. Of course, I may be blind. As a personal memento, I can
> understand where you're coming from with these images. However, and
> luckily for you, you've proved you can do so much better shots in most of
> your past work shown to us. As a buffer against reputation damage, I'd
> park these, and any others that you have any doubt about, and just focus
> on what works. A weak culinary analogy for consideration.... I cooked sea
> bass tonight for the first time and didn't eat the heads, or the tails: my
> advice is to stick to the meat. You've plenty of meat in your work.
> Douglas ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tina Manley"
> <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <MUGers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Leica Users Group"
> <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "paw" <paw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "seephoto"
> <seephoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Olympus Camera Discussion"
> <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 8:21 PM Subject:
> [Leica] IMG: Waiting Out the Rain PESO:
>
>         Still raining in Guatemala:
> http://www.pbase.com/image/**151976305<http://www.pbase.com/image/15197630
> 5> C&C greatly appreciated. Tina -- Tina Manley http://
> <http://tina-manley.**artistwebsites.com/<http://tina-manley.artistwebsite
> s.com/> >www.**tinamanley.com <http://www.tinamanley.com>

Tina, I don't know where Douglas is "coming from", but if he's representing
one of the sites marketing your images, I suggest you note his comments
carefully, and send material that is well focussed etc etc.  Don't jeopardise
your future passive income.

His objective seems to be primarily what will sell in a non-artistic genre, and
the incoming dollar is very high in his mind.

When you get into an art genre, the rules are somewhat different, in my
limited experience. In the case of "Art Competitions",  you quickly learn that
judges vary enormously in respect of what they favour and what they do not
favour. But they are not considering the commercial bottom line. Douglas
seems to be.

Tread carefully or you might get your feet wet  :-)

Brian Swale