Re: [OM] (OM) OT Vehicles

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Vehicles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 12:19:39 -0700
On 7/31/2013 1:22 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Yet again I am reminded of Walt's escapade with his Triumph TR. I forget
>> what engine he managed to get into the front of it, but I haven't forgotten
>> the result at the other end. Too much torque for the rear axle mountings.

Had a neighbor when I was in high school who had a TR2a. One of the rear axle
shafts couldn't even handle the torque
from it's own motor, properly tuned up. SNAP!

>> I will spare you all the details - Walt would not have wanted them broadcast
>> -
>> but they were terminal.
> I recall him writing something about that experience. I think there
> was some mention of the genetic heritage of the engineer that thought
> it was a good idea to secure the mounts to plain sheet metal instead
> of a frame member. Or something like that.
>
> A couple of my brothers went through a handful of Triumphs before
> deciding that was foolish. I think helicopters have a better flight
> time to repair time ratio.

Exactly what I learned from that neighbor's experience. Pretty car, BRG,
leather seats, etc., but hardly ever actually ran.

> And you can't blame it all on Lucas, either.

Nope, electrics were only one part of the troubles.

911 Moose