Re: [OM] One more lens to look for

Subject: Re: [OM] One more lens to look for
From: jdubikins <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:47:35 -0500
I have both the 90/2 and 135/4.5.  I don't disagree about the 135, but the
sheer mechanics and speed of the lenses are so different that I certainly have
a place for each.  I got the 90/2 before the 135, which was acquired to get
even more working distance in the field than even the 90 could provide.

The bokeh is pretty similar, but one should not discount how much easier the 90
is to use.  I find that I really must use a tripod with the 135.  I am also not
as adept at focusing it because it is so much slower than the 90.  The
difference between f2 and f4.5 is very significant.

The 90 is quite sharp, but it is not the sharpest lens I have, and I do not
doubt that there are sharper lenses at the same focal length.  What sold me on
the 90 was seeing a side by side comparison of a shot of water beading on a
windshield taken I believe by Giles Stewart years ago using the 80 and the 90.
The 90 looked three-dimensional in contrast with the 80.  The 80 was very, very
good and sharp.  The overall impression, however, of the two similar
photographs convinced me that the 90 is very special for its particular
photographic characteristics taken as a whole.

If sharpness is the sole criterion, the 90 may not be the best choice -- in
fact, I know it isn't because I have other macro lenses that I am convinced are
sharper at 1:4 and closer,  Sharpness simply doesn't tell the whole story -- at
least to me.

Joel W.