Re: [OM] My first attempt at HDR

Subject: Re: [OM] My first attempt at HDR
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 09:48:33 -0600
>   Thanks, Chuck. That is exactly what I need to know. I only want to catch
> the top of the lighthouse in front of the moon, so if the top of the light
> and the moon have a similar angular diameter, then I think it will work. If
> I ever want to photograph the entire lighthouse with the moon behind it,
> then I will have to move some distance away. With your formula I should be
> able to calculate the optimum distance. Unfortunately that is likely to put
> me in the middle of the wide expanse of marsh that is between the back of
> Morris Island and the mainland.

The one picture that I've been attempting to get is a wind turbine
completely surrounded by the moon. Of course, not all of them have the
same diameter. One particular one that has been haunting me is of the
larger variety. To get the shot I want, I have to be somewhere between
12 and 15 miles away. In Iowa, this is easier said than done because
your shooting location has to be as high as the tower location and
there cannot be any taller hills in between, powerlines, farmsteads,
or trees sticking up. And then when you DO find a location that works,
the weather conditions have to be perfect. There cannot be any haze
layer or distant clouds because you've got to get the moon (or sun)
right at the horizon.