Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/7/2013: my new favourite city in Italy

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/7/2013: my new favourite city in Italy
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 18:05:40 -0400
When I joined the Army, Stop #1 was the "Reception Station" at Ft. Jackson, SC,
where fledgling soldiers were given their haircuts, issued uniforms, etc. There
were about 600 troops to a Reception Company. We were transported everywhere we
went (out of marching distance)  in cattle trucks, packed in like so many, er,
cows. This was January of 1968. Six Puerto Ricans in my RC died from URI, upper
respiratory infection. Two-to-three weeks later, I came down with it after I
already was in my regular training company. I _almost_ died. I didn't know this
until a few years ago, when I made contact on a website for vets with a guy
whose name sounded familiar. Turns out we were in that same training company.
He recalled my illness, and near demise. The Army never told me how close I'd
come. This fellow knew because some of the men in my company came to the
hospital to see me. They weren't permitted in the ward, and were told my
recovery was doubtful. I never saw any of those guys aga
 in because as soon as they released me from the hospital, I was cycled into
another training company.

Cattle trucks are repressive and unhealthy modes of transportation. I view them
with extreme disfavor.

--Bob Whitmire
Registered Neanderthal