[OM] (OM) OT Music

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Music
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 01:29:57 +1200
Longer ago than I can accurately remember ( about 10 years ago) I woke up
one morning at 4 - 5 am and switched on my radio which was tuned to the
national concert programme.

I was amazed. By the greatest of coincidences I had switched it on at the
very beginning of a wonderful and uncommon CD, and I listened in
amazement until the very end.

The 1990 disk is CD 50-9018  Claves
Oboe Concertos from Bohemia.

The first set of tracks is by Joseph Fiala; Concerto in B flat for Oboe and
Orchestra.
While the piece as a whole is not marvellously composed, the first
movement of 8 min 39 sec. has wonderful rapturous oboe flights of fancy.

I managed to locate and buy a copy of a transcription to Oboe and piano by
the renowned Dr Himie Voxman ( now deceased).

Later, I discovered that Voxman's university (where Joel works) has
microfiches of the original manuscripts, sourced  from Germany.

I should point out that I tried very hard to get a copy of the music from the
oboist (Ingo Goritzki) and the conductor (Wojciech Rajski) of the Polish
Chamber Philharmonic, but to no avail. Not even a word of reply.

Well, I am delighted to be able to say that I have managed to obtain free of
charge, the entire manuscript - both solo parts and whole orchestra -
totalling 166 pages; transcribed by Dr Voxman's students !!!  23 pdf files ...

Now I am setting about to try and interest at least one local orchestra to play
it. It will be a NZ first if I do ...

As far as I can tell it was recorded twice around 1990; the Polish version is
very well done and the better of the two.

The other three composers on the CD are Franz Krommer, Johann Wenzel
Kalliwoda, and Bohuslav Martinu. The last one is also wonderful, but very
different from the first.
I have a wma file of the first movement - 12 MB on my hdd.

The CD is still listed at
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Playlist?source=WETA&date=2011081
41901&labelcat=Claves%2050-9018

Brian Swale