Re: [OM] Belgium / The big king switch

Subject: Re: [OM] Belgium / The big king switch
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:09:05 -0600
> People may joke about Belgium, but of the 6 countries where I have lived as
> an adult (Denmark, USA, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, Spain) I consider
> Belgium to have the best overall quality of life. Yes, the federal government
> is most dysfunctional, but the same can be said about other countries,
> including the US and the place where I live now. But Belgium has an
> unbeatable combination of good food, the best ber in the world, friendly
> people, an interesting culture, and proximity to other places of interest
> like Amsterdam, Paris or London.

During the '90s, I spent significant time in Europe. I would agree
that Belgium is one of the nicest, and probably most "neutral" spots
I've been. The "culture" is almost a "non-culture" in that it seems to
not be overbearing in any particular area. I couldn't leave Rome fast
enough, London is great, but is London. London and NYC are their own
worlds. Paris? I love Paris. Period. I could take or leave everywhere
I was in Germany, but Ireland was "home". Amsterdam? No, not really. A
bit wierd, really.

Nathan's post got me to thinking about the USA. I grew up in Michigan
(resort community with industrial base), moved to downstate Illinois,
then to Iowa. I've part-time lived in Colorado twice now. My business
travel has taken me to all but four states (AK, HI, ID, ND) and a lot
of Canada. I've been in nearly every major city and a massive number
of small or non-existant ones. The variability is HUGE! Chris is in
Indiana, which has a culture very different than anything else
surrounding it. Even of the cities, where I'm living in the Denver
area (Littleton) is different than other parts of the region.

Many places I've been to, I couldn't get out quick enough and really
disliked being there. The Detroit area, for example, is pretty bad. I
used to like Chicago. Not so much, anymore. Houston? Nope. Dallas?
I've turned down jobs there for years. Los Angeles? No thank you. San
Francisco? In a heart beat!!! Maine? Not bad, but... Minneapolis? Too
cold, but the people are great. Denver? Oh, yes! Colorado Springs? Not
anymore--I used to love it there, but it got wierd--it's too much like
Indiana now. (Imagine Fort Wayne with a mountain). Phoenix and Las
Vegas? Sure. Alburqueque/SanteFe? Oh, yes.

It's more than just terrain. It's a local attitude. My family is torn
a bit because we like it here in Denver so much, but it's not home for
us right now. We're supposed to be where we are at in Iowa, but we
freely admit that the temptation is high.

There is one thing that Belgium has over Denver. Fries. We do have
decent McDonalds fries, but it's just not exactly the same. Must be
the altitude.

AG