Re: [OM] 1931: Lewis Hine, constructing the Empire State Bldg.

Subject: Re: [OM] 1931: Lewis Hine, constructing the Empire State Bldg.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:30:05 -0600
I've read criticisms of that photographer's work, because of the
highly selective nature of his positioning and cropping. But, to me it
doesn't matter much if they were 1000 feet or 10 feet above a solid
floor, those guys are of a different breed than me. Supposably, only
two people died during construction from falls. One down an elevator
shaft and the other off of a scaffold.

Granted, it was still dangerous work, but the life-and-limb appearance
of these photographs don't show the context of how close they were to
the floor below and these are all perimeter shots. It is believed that
iron workers today tend be in more precarious positions because of the
safety gear. We likely get more deaths and injuries from failed safety
gear or failure to use the safety gear correctly, than from what was
the norm back then.

AG (ground level works for me) Schnozz