Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer

Subject: Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:39:07 -0500
Just saw last night a show on pbs about an excursion train. The locomotive
burns a mixture of diesel fuel and used motor oil. the used motor oil gives
them a constant plume of smoke. And for those of you in other countries,
many steam locomotives were converted or built originally to run on liquid
fuel (the only ones that kept with coal were railroads with on line coal
mines). The fuel was referred to as bunker (insert grade letter A through
yuk) oil. It came from refineries, where it resides on the list of what you
get from crude between diesel fuel/kerosene and asphalt. Nasty stuff, often
steam pipes were run the the oil tank in the tender to keep it flowing
during cold.

But remember, most smoke is the result of a lazy or incompetent fireman.