Re: [OM] New rolling camera bag

Subject: Re: [OM] New rolling camera bag
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:12:43 -0400
We're flying Icelandic into Glasgow, so we get a running start as we hit the
ground. Plan is to pick up a car at the airport and blow out of the urban area
into the countryside. I think we'll probably do that first night somewhere in
the Loch Lomond/Stirling area, then there are noises about meeting up with some
list members in the Loch Ness/Inverness area. After than we're pretty much
planning on winging it, with an already confirmed four-day stay at an inn on
the Isle of Sky. After that, more winging, I hope out to Lewis and Harris, but
maybe down to Mull.

This trip is about the outdoors rather than urban stuff. People who've been
recently, as well as people who live there, have told us that the visitor
centers are first rate, and one can stop in late in the afternoon and find
plenty of help with dinner and accommodations. I've enjoyed this in Canada as
well, at least in the Maritimes, and think it remarkably civilized and helpful.
If Olde Scotland is anything as accommodating as Nova Scotia, we're in for a
series of treats.

We've already decided that the next time we go to Europe for cathedrals and
museums and such, we're going in late January. After battling 500,000 tourists
at the Museum of Modern Art in New York last month, I can just imagine the Tate
or the Louvre "in season." When we were in London in late May/early June, the
"largest" museum we hit was the National Portrait Gallery, and that wasn't too
full. Didn't even try the Tate. The Florence Nightingale museum was a real
delight, with few people, and the Museum of London almost empty. Which was a
real shame. I'm sure the Museum of London is one of the most underrated museums
in all of the UK. By comparison, the British Museum was a joy, but like MOMA in
New York, we had to constantly avoid being caught in tip tides of Chinese and
Japanese tourists traveling by phalanx.

My son did Paris and London over Christmas/New Year's one year and loved it.

--Bob Whitmire
Registered Neanderthal