Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer

Subject: Re: [OM] Steam trains running this summer
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 08:01:25 -0600
Paul wrote:
> Lovely.  My wife and I have always planned to take an excursion or two,
> perhaps one of the ones in California through wine country.  I love trains,
> have ever since I was but a wee tot.

Paul, every year or two, the Iowa Interstate Rail Road will run an
excursion train. They've got something like 20 passenger cars they
load up, so there is plenty of room. I think the eastern terminous is
Rock Island.

Several years ago, they ran both engines for a scheduled freight. I
think they set some records. Syncing two steam engines really is an
artform. I don't think they quite got it figured out.

Speaking of rail service, since I Amtrak it half of the time between
Iowa and Colorado... (Steam would probably be more reliable, but
that's another story). In Eastern Colorado, they've grooved the rails.
I'm not sure if this is a result of trying to increase traction or if
it was a rail-grinder gone bad. But it's fascinating because the rails
sing.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx