Re: [OM] Monsanto patents Broccoli

Subject: Re: [OM] Monsanto patents Broccoli
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 09:16:06 -0700
> Not sure if the analogy is perfect, since there is no second hand smoke issue
> here,...
Indeed there is Nathan. A farmer in Ontario was successfully sued by
Monsanto for having Roundup resistant plants in his field which he
didn't even plant! They were in fact contaminating his crop. A real
problem for any farmer which doesn't want Monsanto seed.

In another current ongoing case here in WA and OR State gmo wheat has
been found in some fields. The result is that Japan, a huge customer,
has stopped purchasing PacNW wheat with subsequent price drop. Lawsuits
have been filed but I'm sure will be stalled for years.

There is a ballot proposition now in WA to simply label GMO products.
Very similar to the CA initiative which was sunk by industry $$ and
misinformation.  I hope it passes in WA. Consumers have a right to
information.

Mike