Re: [OM] Barn Details

Subject: Re: [OM] Barn Details
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:45:26 -0700
On 6/29/2013 9:43 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

> My Father-in-law passed away this week and the funeral was Saturday
> morning.

My best wishes to all those affected by the loss.

> The barns and such have fallen into disrepair over the past couple of
> decades, and have proven to be wonderful fodder for my cameras. For this
> collection of photographs I used the DMC-L1 set to in-camera jpeg. Other
> than an automated auto levels and resizing, these are as-is, straight out
> of camera. Warts and all. I will heavily process a few of them in the
> future, but not right now.

A great deal of potential there, many good subjects and compositions. With
work, quite a few really excellent images.
Maybe a book for family?

The tonalities seem to me workmanlike, straightforward, nothing wrong. But far
from the tonal subtlety and smooth
richness of Tina's MM diner scene or Bob's loving couple in NYC. Better in some
of the landscapes than the barn work.
I'm sure a lot can be done in post, but that camera is not superior for B&W
right out of the box, based on what I see here.

JPEG only?? There are some nice ones with unrecoverable highlight detail that
would be useful. 827 has foliage that can
be almost recovered, but noooot quite, at least in the small size. 845 has some
parts that can't be recovered, but they
are natural high spots, so a good result is possible. Maybe the auto levels did
some a disservice?

The last one shows why we do cliches, it's lovely and restful to look at. A
wall pic. A tiny bit of work will make it
beautiful.

> Please enjoy.

Did.

Tonal Moose