[OM] New field strategy.

Subject: [OM] New field strategy.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 16:34:18 -0700
Remember the old days of carrying two camera bodies, or more, each with a
different film?

For visiting nature, I've recently been using a different two camera strategy.
I'm carrying two cameras around my neck,
along with small binoculars.

Mostly, it's been 75-300 on E-M5, for the better IS, and 12-50 on E-PM2. A lot
more range than one camera with 14-150,
and a lot less lens swapping in some places. Far fewer conflicts between
getting the shots and time constraints for the
trail.

Walking through a grove of giant sequoias, the 12-50 was often swapped for the
9-18, the only way to get an entire tree
in one frame, and generally useful for wider views of parts of the grove.

The gap between 50 and 75 mm has as yet to be an issue, just sneaker-zoom or go
a little wide and crop. Not apparently a
focal range I use a lot.

The long lens has two main uses, traditional tele in open country and close-ups
both there and in the woods. In the
wild, especially on steep slopes, all that reach makes many shots I'd otherwise
miss, of things both large and far away
and close/small.

For small things like flowers near the trail, I've taken a lot of dups with 300
and with 12-50 Macro setting. I can't
say as yet that one is always better. Too many images, too little time for
careful comparisons, travel and more pics
comin' up ...

I carry the 10 mm extension tube in a pocket, to get closer at 300 mm. It works
pretty well. At some distances, it does
seem to confuse the AF, and I need to MF. Remember those zooms with 'macro',
where you use the zoom setting to focus?
That's been the solution sometimes with this combo.

Where's the Oly or Panny extender that gives the correct effective lens
settings to the camera, rather than just making
the connections?

I 'should' do some more testing. ;-)

Two Gun Moose