Re: [OM] It Ain't So Bad - Poor man's Fuji XPRO1

Subject: Re: [OM] It Ain't So Bad - Poor man's Fuji XPRO1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:31:16 -0600
> Hey! I've always tried to be clear that I understand that my lifelong dislike
> of rangefinders is highly personal. I don't think there is anything
> inherently wrong with them - for people other than me. ;-)

That's why I was pretty clear about using the term "preferences". A
preference for one thing over another usually has nothing to do with
logic. Back in the last decade, it was totally logical to buy only
Canon DSLRs. If you applied the logic to the camera buying decision,
there was no other choice. Everything else was horrible in comparison.
However, a lot of people (two or three of us) refused to follow the
logical path and applied "preference" to our decision. In the world of
vehicles, the most "logical" choice for almost everybody is a minivan.
However, there's going to be somebody who goes against the flow and
drives some two-seat, convertable car.

But, in these two examples, a person's "preference' is so counter to
logic that it makes the decision maker out to be an idiot. In the
world of SLR vs. Rangefinder cameras, each has distinct advantages to
the point where "logic" just might swing the standard selection to one
side or the other. An SLR has significant advantages in some uses,
while Rangefinders have significant advantages in others. At this
point, it is up to the photographer to determine which style of use to
embrace. However, when all else is relatvely equal, the "preference"
comes down to the intangibles, such as sound or feel--things that have
absolutely nothng to do with the images themselves.

The fact that Moose doesn't like Rangefinder cameras isn't so much a
character flaw, but one where he found a "home" with an SLR system
that gave him most of the advantages of the Rangefinder cameras and
most of the advantages of the SLRs. The OM system really became almost
the ideal hybrid camera. Just like Moose, once I experienced the OM
system, nothing else would do.

See? I can bring everything full-circle back to the OMs. :)

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx