[OM] E-M5 report

Subject: [OM] E-M5 report
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:38:44 +0800 (WST)
Hi all,

It's been a few years since I've purchased a new camera.

I keep the E-1 with Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 for flowers and
plants, and I use the E-450 with 12-60mm F2.8-4 as a good
all rounder, it's a combination I like, even when used with
the FS-FP1 and the FL50.

Keep the E330 with the bellows attached to it on the
workbench.

So at the start of the month with the AU$ still high, and
the price for the E-M5 with 12-50mm lens low I thought
I'd buy one, this normally means that Oly will release a
new model in the next 1-2 months :o)

I upgraded the firmware on the E-M5, and put the
E-450 away for a few weeks.

The E-M5 does have some nice points but it need's
a grip, it just not the right shape for someone with
hands like mine.

So I went and bought a Jeep, oops, sorry, I mean
a HLD-6  PBH, makes all the difference with grip
but it sucks that you have to remove it to get to the
battery, I dont want the battery part, just the grip.

The E-Zoom/M-Zoom ring gets me all the time,
I prefer manual zoom but everytime I touch the
lens the zoom ring push's out to the E-Zoom position.
It will take a while to get use to that, I do like the
macro but in hindsight I think I should have got the
14-42mm lense.

I like the over/under exposure blotchs in the viewfinder,
and that it was easy to figure out how to turn off the
auto viewfinder switching so you can only switch it
from the view finder to the rear display using the button
to the right of the view finder. The over/under exposure
blotchs make the electronic viewfinder worth it but it
would still be nice if the viewfinder was higher
resolution, livable though.

This morning I went and picked up a MMF-3 adapter
because I miss using the 12-60mm.

I put the 12-60mm on the MMF-3, on the E-M5, nope,
that is not a good combo, the focusing hunts up, past, down,
swings around the focus point, then after a good 5-7 seconds
it finally focus's on a point, I now understand what others
have said about a 43's lense hunting on the E-M5, different
focusing. Generally 43's lense on the E-M5 body doesnt
seem like a good idea, so now I think I'll have to get
something around a 25mm lense for the E-M5 as the
12-50mm is to long for a small camera, makes me think
I might as well stick with the E-450.

I might experiment with menu settings first as the 12-60
does look impressive on the E-M5 but I'm really after
usability at present.

Hint, I glued a rubber tab onto the USB cover so I
nolonger have to keep moving the screen out to open
the rubber cover.

I got the E-450 out and used it this afternoon with the
12-60mm. The E-M5 will be staying on the shelf, it's
just not my type of camera, its almost there but just not
good enough. It also has a Sony feel about it, I dont
mind Sony but I thought I was getting an Olympus :)

My daughter doesnt know it yet but I think she wants
a new camera :o)

Anyone here anything from Olympus about something
being released for 43's lenses ?

I believe an Oly rep made a vague hint about a year ago
but I've heard nothing since. Sigh, maybe I should have
gone fuji.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Of nowhere in particular.