Re: [OM] Huh

Subject: Re: [OM] Huh
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 07:14:18 -0400
Ye, gad!  Copying 138GB?  You need a smarter backup program.  I use the
pay version of this software since it's capable of backing up locked
Windows files but the free version will do whatever you need for image
files.  I've used it for years and it's never skipped a beat.
<http://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html>
It operates by setting up backup profiles using the drives, folders and
options you select.  For image backup I use the synchronization method
they call "mirror right".  In SyncBack parlance left refers to the
source drive and right refers to the destination drive.  Mirroring right
compares the source on the left to the destination on the right and
copies according to the following description. But there are lots of
other options available.

This is a description of one of my several mirroring profiles after it's
been created:
Files will be mirrored from Source (D:\Photos\) to Destination (G:\Photos\).
If the same file has been changed on both Source and Destination then
the file on Source will replace the file on Destination.
Files only on Source are copied to Destination.
Files only on Destination are deleted.
If an empty directory is only on Source then the decision is automated.
If an empty directory is only on Destination then the decision is automated.
Only the following files/folders will be included: *\,*\*
The profile is stored in
C:\Users\Chuck\AppData\Local\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\

Note the deletion of files that exist only on the destination.  That's
part of the description of mirroring but you can choose other options if
you desire.  Sounds to me like you've been mirroring too but by copying
the entire thing rather than just what's been changed.

One other important point.  After the source/destination comparison it
produces a report that tells you (in color coded text) what it's going
to copy and delete.  You get a chance to review that before giving it
the go-ahead to make the changes.  It's usually too voluminous to review
every change. But I do perform a quick random review to see if the
images being copied are things I recognize as recently added or changed
and that deletions from the destination are things I recall deleting.
I'd say I've been using it for the past 5-7 years.  It's fairly
frequently updated but I've never known it to make an error. Well
designed, easy to use and one of the most reliable pieces of software
I've ever owned.

ps:  Their website also offers a small collection of freebie utilities.

Chuck Norcutt