Re: [OM] Happy Home

Subject: Re: [OM] Happy Home
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 03:09:08 -0400
Andrew and Bob,

Thanks for the kind words on the photo. I've been out shooting a lot the
last few days now that school is out, so I haven't been fast on responding
to the list.

I like Avedon's portraits of the west, but I think he missed out in a way
by being an outsider who really didn't understand the culture he was
photographing. A lot of people accused him of exploiting the downtrodden
people of 'flyover country' for the enjoyment of his rich east coast
audience.

I am photographing my home and the people and culture I grew up in. I like
most of the working class and poor people here, they are honest and
hardworking people. Its the middle class here I cannot stand, with their
false religiosity, hatred of anyone who thinks for himself, and outspoken
disdain for education.

I grew up in a family that had become middle class not long before I was
born. My father was the second person in my family's history to graduate
from high school, and he landed a good job with the phone company as soon
as he graduated. He and my mother adopted all of the middle class's narrow
minded prejudices, except, thankfully, religion.

I have never, ever had a working class or poor person in Fort Wayne tell
me I was an idiot for getting a masters degree in the humanities or a
bachelors degree in art (they are impressed by it and often express regret
that they never got to go to college). I am told I wasted my money and
time by getting an education that wasn't purely vocational by middle class
people every f--king day. Then the fools wonder why the middle class is
being destroyed by our elites.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography