Re: [OM] Sony will get Oly 5 axis IBIS

Subject: Re: [OM] Sony will get Oly 5 axis IBIS
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:18:52 -0600
> There are still some places that sell "tune-ups." Mostly dealers and chain
> shops. Must be a big profit center. What was a tune up?

These days, even bargain-basement plugs will last 100,000 miles
without ever missing a beat. In my current Jeep, I had the plugs and
wires replaced when I bought it (less than 50,000 miles on it, due to
a performance issue), but that's been 110,000 miles ago. I had the
plugs pulled a couple months ago as part of an inspection and they are
all looking and acting just fine. Not sure what, if any gain there
would be to having them replaced again until something fails.

Belts are the one thing that I do have done periodically. You can
creep yourself out looking at them and seeing all the cracks, but the
funny thing is that the best looking belts are the ones most likely to
fail. Every belt failure I've had has been with a belt that looked
good, but my ancient weatherchecked ones keep spinning away. I have
those replaced every 100,000 miles or so, but it's really a matter of
time, not mileage. There have been vehicles I've owned that never had
them replaced in 200,000 miles, while two other vehicles would go
through them at the same rate as tires. Frankly, I think I only
replace them when a waterpump dies.

Based on my experience with them, I'd say that Jeeps tend to be about
the most maintenance-free vehicles I could ever imagine owning. If
something breaks, fix it, but otherwise just drive it till it drops.
This is contrary to Toyotas, and most imports, that have timing
belts/chains that require EXPENSIVE replacement before they break and
destroy the engine.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx