Re: [OM] OT PC backup programs

Subject: Re: [OM] OT PC backup programs
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 18:47:54 +1200
Well, having been reprimanded for not asking enough of the right kind of
question ( I thought i'd asked more than enough! ), here are some more.

The main electronics supplier in my area does not stock ANY docking
stations.  The national e-trade website lists at the moment only docking
stations which seem to rely on a USB attachment. A google search on NZ
sites shows none for sale.

Neither Newegg nor Thermaltake will trade outside USA and Canada.

I will try Amazon, but frequently in the past, transactions with them have quit
at the point of entering my card details - I will have to see what happens if I
try again..
I opened the Passport package ( very cunningly put together) in a way that it
should be possible for me to re-assemble it without opening being detected,
but if Dick Smith co will not take it back then I will have to sell it on
trademe.

So, I have some more questions for Dr Backup. (I hope I do not get his back
up)!.

I assume I need a shielded external eSATA cable. Others who bought a
Thermaltake docking station did.   Is my assumption correct?

Question: what is the power supply to the docking station? Is it via the SATA
cable, or is it separate?
If it is separate, what is the voltage?
( Our domestic supply is at 230-240 volts, half the 110 volts of the USA and
Canada.)

If it is 110 volts I will need to also get a 240 > 110 transformer which can
take the appropriate amperage.

Brian Swale