Re: [OM] Computer Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Question
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 20:22:07 +0100
On 23 May 2013 19:49, Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Computer Gurus -
>
> I read that to really speed up LR, I needed a Solid State Drive so I
> ordered this one:
>

> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LI7CTY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
> I thought it would be an external drive that I could hook up to USB but
> it's not!  There are evidently ways to install it in a drive bay, which I
> do have.  What do I need to do that?  Is there any way to use it as an
> external hard drive or would that defeat the purpose?

Using an SSD as a USB backup device would defeat the purpose for 2 reasons:
 you lose the speed advantage by connecting it via USB (even USB 3 is
slower than the drive is capable of transferring data) and you're paying
over the odds for the capacity (you can buy a terabyte of spinny-platter
disk, in a USB box, for less than half the price of that SSD).

To connect it internally, you will need:

1) a spare SATA power connector.  Your PSU is unlikely to have another of
these so you'll need an adapter, something like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Molex-Power-Adapter-SATAPOWADAP/dp/B00009YFTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369336030&sr=1-1&keywords=sata+power+cable+adapter

2) An SATA data cable like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Serial-ATA-SATA-Drive-Cable/dp/B001O4EPH0/ref=sr_1_35?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369336246&sr=1-35&keywords=sata+data+cable

3) a 3.5" to 2.5" drive bay adapter kit, such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-SDP08-3-5-2-5-Inch-Converter/dp/B002BH3Z8E/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369336443&sr=1-11&keywords=2.5+adapter+sata+internal

It is possible that 2 & 3 are included with the drive - they are with some
drives.

You'll also need to have an empty SATA socket on your motherboard - it's
likely that the existing HD and CD/DVD drive will be using one each, but
there are usually at least 4.

Alternatively, you can put it in an e-SATA case and have it as an external
drive, which should still transfer as fast as an internal one.  Something
like this, I believe, ought to do it:
http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-2598SUS-Full-Aluminum-Tool/dp/B006BSLJIC/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369336783&sr=1-5&keywords=e-sata+enclosure

Usually, an SSD is used to speed up the operating system and application
use it to temporarily store the pictures you're working on, and then copy
them to a bigger spinny-platter drive when you've finished with them.
That's rather more complex and hazardous to do, and I'd recommend finding a
local expert to do it.  It's the best way though.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer