Re: [OM] Early morning at St Pancras

Subject: Re: [OM] Early morning at St Pancras
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 07:48:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> you can't help but wonder what happened in this country that removed rail
>> travel from the options for
>> getting about.  While the rest of the world is competing for the fastest
>> passenger rail service, our
>>leaders are telling us that we really don't want it.
>

>Often said to anyone who will listen (and they are getting damned tired of
>hearing it) that one of the
>greatest single mistakes the United States ever made (never mind slavery) was
>abandoning our rail system
>in favor of the Interstate Highway system. God, what ignorant, arrogant asses.
>Of course it helped that
>Europe's rail system was bombed out of existence during WWII, and so they got
>to start fresh.

     Doing away with the RPO (railway post office) and switching it to OTR
trucking did not help.  They sorted mail enroute.  Of course, machine sorting
is less costly.  Most of the OTR transport is contracted out to UPS and FedEx
Ground.

     The French have dedicated TGV trainsets for mail, or at least did.
They're painted yellow.

Chris